• About Us
  • Who Are We
  • Work With Us
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
The Globe Post
39 °f
New York
44 ° Fri
46 ° Sat
40 ° Sun
41 ° Mon
No Result
View All Result
The Globe Post
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

Turkey’s Critical Journalists Face Trial On Terrorism Charges

Abdullah Ayasun by Abdullah Ayasun
12/25/17
in Featured, Middle East
cumhuriyet journalists trial gazeteciler yargilaniyor turkey
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

In a public display of the disheartening state of media freedom in Turkey, journalists and staff from a secular opposition newspaper went on trial on Monday and Tuesday in Istanbul, after nine months of pretrial detention, with hearings set to last the entire week.

During the second day of the hearing, editors and columnists from the Cumhuriyet newspaper, the oldest of the Turkish Republic, appeared at Caglayan Courthouse in Istanbul, defending themselves in what they say a politically-motivated trial. They rejected terrorism charges, portraying the trial as an expanded political war on journalism.

The first hearing on Monday commanded public attention, with national and international observers attending a packed courtroom under heavy security measures.

It was another episode in Turkey’s mass media trials that brimmed with despair, disbelief, cynicism and zealous rejection of the indictment that seeks lengthy prison sentences for dissident journalists ahead of a critical meeting between EU leaders and the Turkish authorities this week.

During his defense, the newspaper’s chief executive Akin Atalay dismissed charges as ridiculous and baseless. For him, the major aim is to silence Cumhuriyet or seize it. “The second aim is to show other journalists their fate and in practice what will happen if they write what the government does not like,” he told the courtroom.

Seventeen journalists, 12 of whom have been in jail, stand trial over terrorism charges, making propaganda on behalf of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) or adopting a favorable editorial line in support for U.S.-based Turkish cleric and his movement.

In an outright rebuke of the accusations, chief executive Atalay insisted that Cumhuriyet “never had any relationship with a terrorist group. It’s only activity is journalistic.”

Nothing more than the charges of Gulenist links that could infuriate the defendants given Cumhuriyet’s long, palpable discord with the Gulen movement over Turkey’s political affairs. In the indictment, the prosecutor accuses some of the journalists of having contacts and meetings with members of Gulen-linked media.

Kadri Gursel, a well-known columnist, said he talked to them “as a journalist for professional purposes.”

“Journalists are curious by nature and our job is to present a different perspective to the public. That is journalism,” he said in his defense.

“I am not here because I knowingly and willingly helped a terrorist organization, but because I am an independent, questioning and critical journalist,” Reuters quoted Mr. Gursel as saying during the court hearing.

In one of the most memorable scenes, security guards did not allow the veteran columnist to hug his son, provoking bitter fury on social media, the newspaper said on its website.

“The indictment seems to rely on reporting — they spoke to people or reported what they said,” Steven Mr. Ellis, a director of the International Press Institute, a global network for media freedom, of which Mr. Gursel is a board member, told The New York Times. “We see that claim as most suspicious.”

Former Editor-in-Chief Can Dundar

online pharmacy buy ventolin no insurance with best prices today in the USA
buy singulair online https://healthmantra.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/singulair.html

is being tried in absentia. He is in self-imposed exile in Germany after surviving an assassination attempt outside the same courtroom last year in a separate case.

In a display of solidarity, French and German newspapers went to print with large headlines on the front page, standing by Cumhuriyet when the trial began on Monday.

The provisional decision is expected on Friday while expectations for the release of the journalists run low. The trial is seen as a clear-cut manifestation of a travesty of freedom of expression and media as the state of emergency suspends or removes essential measures that safeguard basic freedoms in public domain.

Nearly 200 journalists are behind bars. The Cumhuriyet trial constitutes only one aspect of a larger drama about Turkey’s fraying democracy and liberties. Turkey’s rumor mill has been on overdrive about a potential new purge wave in bureaucracy and the military.

Already more than 150,000 public servants, including generals, judges, prosecutors, and teachers, have been sacked by government decrees, while 50,000 people jailed pending trial.

In a country where journalists, as in the Cumhuriyet trial, would face up to 43 years in prison over news reports and social media posts if found guilty, hope for a bright future is a scarce commodity, with the prospect of a political solution appearing to be in short supply.

ShareTweet
Abdullah Ayasun

Abdullah Ayasun

Staff Writer

Related Posts

A noose is seen on makeshift gallows as supporters of US President Donald Trump gather on the West side of the US Capitol in Washington DC on January 6, 2021
National

Militia Leader Gets 18 Years in Prison Over US Capitol Attack

by Staff Writer
May 26, 2023
Syrian rescuers and civilians search for victims and survivors amid the rubble of a collapsed building, in the rebel-held northern countryside of Syria's Idlib province on the border with Turkey, early on February 6, 2023. Syrian rescuers (White Helmets) and civilians search for victims and survivors amid the rubble of a collapsed building
World

Quake Kills Over 1,200 Across Turkey, Syria

by Staff Writer
February 6, 2023
Greek Immigration Minister Notis Mitarachi
Refugees

Greece Denies Turkey Claims Over Six Migrants Killed at Sea

by Staff Writer
September 14, 2022
anti femicide group
Democracy at Risk

Anti-Femicide Group Goes on Trial in Turkey, Faces Risk of Closure

by Staff Writer
June 1, 2022
The Club Netflix
Lifestyle

Netflix Series Helps Heal Wounds of Turkey’s Jews

by Staff Writer
March 19, 2022
AFP photographer arrested
Media Freedom

Turkish Reporters Demand Protection After Violent Arrest

by Staff Writer
June 29, 2021
Next Post
palestine jerusalem

In Jerusalem, Palestinian Quest For Justice Never Fades

Turkish TV Reporter Battered Under Intense Hailstorm On Live TV

Please login to join discussion

Recommended

The Fnideq (Morocco) - Ceuta (Spain) fence, located in northern Africa, is one of the main borders used by people on the continent to try to immigrate to the European Union. In September 2024, a massive attempt to cross the fence occurs, and the Moroccan police push back hundreds of people who head towards the Spanish exclave. In 2024, Spain receives 46,000 migrants.

Thousands Cross Into Spain’s North Africa Enclave in New Migrant Crisis

July 31, 2026
An armed Iranian police officer holding a rifle monitors the area as motorcyclists ride beneath a billboard depicting an AI-generated image of the Strait of Hormuz and an effigy of US President Donald Trump, displayed on the wall of a state building in downtown Tehran, Iran, on May 3, 2026.

US, Saudi Strike Iraq Alliance in Expanding War

July 29, 2026
Germany, Berlin, 26 july 2026, Gathering in tribute to the victims and all those affected by the attack on the 2026 CSD (Christopher Street Day/Pride) event, held at Pariser Platz.

Berlin LGBTQ Community Fears Far-Right ‘Exploitation’ of Pride Attack

July 27, 2026
AI chatbot applications.

Trump Under Pressure From All Sides Over Chinese AI Surge

July 24, 2026
Protesters gathered to condemn the detention of opposition leader of parliament, Rahul Gandhi, during a protest in New Delhi.

India Student Protests Keep Up Pressure on Modi Government

July 22, 2026
A southern Yemeni separatist fighter waves his rifle at the site of an anti-government protest in the port city of Aden, Yemen January 30, 2018.

Yemen’s Iran-Backed Houthis Announce Maritime Blockade of Saudi Arabia

July 20, 2026

Opinion

A Cuban street with a flag

Cuba Through a Pulse: Intimacy, Poverty, and the Shadow of Revolution

March 10, 2026
An Iranian walking in front of a wall painting of the Iranian flag in Tehran

Iran Can’t Dominate the Middle East Without Iraq

January 13, 2026
US President Donald Trump

Vladimir Trump and Blood for Oil

January 5, 2026
A trial COVID-19 vaccine

America’s Global Health Retreat Is a Gift to Its Rivals

November 12, 2025
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

UN Might Tolerate Netanyahu, and White House Might Welcome Him, But He’s Still Guilty of Genocide

September 30, 2025
Former President Donald Trump speaks at a Fox News Town Hall

Cruelties Are US

August 25, 2025
Facebook Twitter

Newsletter

Do you like our reporting?
SUBSCRIBE

About Us

The Globe Post

The Globe Post is part of Globe Post Media, a U.S. digital news organization that is publishing the world's best targeted news sites.

submit oped

© 2018 The Globe Post

No Result
View All Result
  • National
  • World
  • Business
  • Interviews
  • Lifestyle
  • Democracy at Risk
    • Media Freedom
  • Opinion
    • Editorials
    • Columns
    • Book Reviews
    • Stage
  • Submit Op-ed

© 2018 The Globe Post